I don’t know why but recently I feel like I need to get out of my house more…to eat out, to do something meaningful. I feel like sometimes I am stuck in the freaking kitchen cooking and cooking. And even though I did like it sometimes, when I do it too much and it becomes tedious I feel like I don’t wanna do it anymore. Especially when I experience “Food fails”. There was one period last few weeks ago when I did not want to cook at all, so I just ate chips and cookies. My stomach did not respond well to that. My stomach is such a picky lady. But I don’t know, I am kinda stuck in between “cooking at home” and “going to the restaurant”. I cook too much at home now that I feel like I don’t feel like eating my foods because I lack ideas and sometimes my food tastes bad (maybe because I am also less enthusiastic)
Okay since it’s a whining post (and by writing I feel like I can find the solution), here are some of the things annoying about cooking
- Washing all the dishes afterwards. Sucks. Terrible for my hand skin and take a lot of time
- It takes a lot of time.
- I see my friends (and me sometimes) enjoying cooking. I do, too, but sometimes it can be too much. I get it, the joy of seeing the food coming out of the oven in a beautiful shape, or when I found a recipe that I feel like I am super excited to do – yes, I get it. But my life needs so much variety that sometimes I feel like that cannot catch up.
- To cook a beautiful, tasty dish takes a lot more time than cooking an average food that can stay for a week, which leads to another two problems below
- The beautiful dish is often for one day (at most) portion and often very tasty. The week-long dish is often for a week portion and often less tasty.
- I sometimes do not like my week food, and when it’s too much, that could be another problem –> I either have to eat it all, or throw it away (which means all the time, ingredients and time washing the dishes (plus one more container containing the food I throw away) are gone)
- Sometimes I feel like I constantly have the needs to “produce” foods.
- THE VEGETABLES!!! I hate cooking vegetables because they cannot stay long, and I cannot make it very simple. Whenever I cook, it can’t be too simple or I won’t like it. I don’t like eating bland food. I want to eat good food.
- One of the biggest annoyances – I CANNOT DO ANYTHING ELSE WHILE COOKING
So many dilemmas…
Needless to say, I like cooking. It’s just that everything has ups and downs. Now I feel like I am in the “down” for cooking: I lack ideas of new food, I don’t want to eat my food anymore, I don’t feel well sometimes eating my food, I often get mad at the amount of dishes I have to wash, sometimes I get mad for spending 3 hours to cook the amount enough for one meal, etc
So what can I do?
I feel like it’s time for me to change for something newer, because I feel like I’ve reached a point in my life when I am ready to do a makeover for lots of things. I start to notice this for the last month: I start to feel like I am trapped in a circle of things I do again and again, yet too lazy to get out of it to do other things because “I don’t have a reason”. “I don’t feel like”. Yet when I do those things in a circle
- Maybe I’ll start going to a restaurant for about 1 time per week, or 1 time bi-weekly, if I like the food there. I better not think things like: But I want to go with someone! I don’t have money! I am too lazy! I notice there are months I do not go eating out at all! Which is good for my pocket but not very good for my hungry mouth.
- Maybe I should (again, I did this before) learn from the past: I only cook on one day (Saturday, Friday night) for the rest of the week. And then don’t cook/don’t expect to cook.
- Maybe I can chop the vegetables beforehand.
- I just realize how useful the dishwasher can be for my hand!
- I realize one of the reasons I start getting mad is that I often cook late (6pm) when I am already very hungry. So probably I should cook after I eat (no way), or start like 5?, 4:30?